Monday, December 31, 2012

Musical Monday: Best of 2012

I tried to pick my top 10 songs of 2012, I really did. But I have such trouble picking favorites, the only way that made sense to showcase the songs I loved this year was not to make a numerically ordered list (how could I rank & measure Macklemore against Julia Stone in any way that could truly compare their music fairly. So instead I decided to share the top 3 songs that got me through each month. The only restriction I gave myself in this list is that since it is a "best of 2012" list they either had to be released in 2012 or late 2011.

*a quick explanation on lack of Gotye in the top songs of 2012:  I discovered his music in February 2011 & bought Making Mirrors when it was released in Australia in August 2011 and subsequently rocked out on repeat until the end of the year. For me, 2011 was the year of Gotye, even though I went to 2 concerts of his in 2012 which were awesome, the magic and obsession of discovery has given way to a comfortable, less prominent but still ever-present appreciation.

Without further ado, here are my Top 36 of 2012

January: 

The 2011 Triple J Hottest 100 gave me a lot of great music to start off the new year. And KEXP's Iceland Airwaves gave me Of Monsters and Men and their super-catchy "Little Talks"
Matt Corby: Brother 

Of Monsters and Men: Little Talks

Bombay Bicycle Club: Shuffle


February

February was all about escaping the madness through music, and Marathon Runner became my Spring-time anthem, I even used the lyrics as headers in a law school paper.
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis: Make the Money

Yellow Ostrich: Marathon Runner

The Lumineers: Ho Hey


March:

Lushlife: Teenage Dream

Ramona Falls: Spore

Kimbra: Come Into My Head

April:

April Showers brought some sad nostalgia but also comforting reflection.
David's Lyre: Hearbeat

Gossling: Love Fall Foul

Dana Buoy: So Lucky

May:

Happy songs were fitting for all the celebrations of May
Ramona Falls: Archimedes Plutonium

Gossling: Wild Love

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis: Can't Hold Us Feat. Ray Dalton


June: 

Songs that got me through Bar Review, either epic soundtracks, positive messages, of complex beats to fall into to pause from studying. I credit "When It Builds" especially for helping me get through certain sections of Bar Review *cough* Wills & Trusts and therefore helping me pass the VA Bar)
Shadows on Stars: When It Builds

Alt-J: Fitzpleasure

Alt-J: Taro


July:

More happy/upbeat songs, I'm still waiting for Yuna to blow up, she's great and Stereogum voted Japandroids The House That Heaven Built  the Song of the Summer. Also, a zen Matt Corby track he released for free which I listen to almost every yoga practice, it puts me in such a lovely place.
Yuna: Live Your Life

Japandroids: The House that Heaven Built

Matt Corby: Coloured Stones and Walls


August:

August was about rekindling the love for old favorite musicians. I went to the Gentlemen of the Road festival and it renewed my love for Mumford, I also rediscovered Stars with their new album North and Ingrid Michaelson on YouTube made me realize how great she still is.

Mumford & Sons: Below My Feet

Stars: Hold on When You Get Love and Let Go When You Get It

Ingrid Michaelson: Fire

September:

No theme in Septermber, just good music.
 
Imagine Dragons: Tiptoe

Hot Chip: Let Me Be Him

Julia Stone: Let's Forget All The Things That We Say (Feat. Benjamin Biolay)

October:

Again, no theme here, just songs I kept replaying.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis: BomBom Feat. The Teaching

Stars: Walls

NO: What's Your Name

November: 

This was an angsty month for me, evidenced by the girl-tastic jams with lyrics like "if you're still breathing, you're the lucky one" and "don't tell me our youth is running out"
Daughter: Youth

HAIM: Go Slow

Foxes: Youth

December:

Christmas, nostalgia, and the years end meant these were the tracks of my December.
Sufjan Stevens: Christmas Unicorn

Kishi Bashi: Manchester

Husky: History's Door

I'm excited for what 2013 will hold. Were any of these your favorites from 2012? What songs define your past year? I'd love to hear in the comments section below or find me on twitter: @itzbizr

No comments: