Monday, February 25, 2013

Musical Monday: Electro-Pop Dance Party

Someone close to me has a birthday coming up (TOMORROW) and so this post is in honor of her 27th year and the dance party we'll have!
I'm switching it up a bit and including some more mainstream songs in this post. I sometimes have to counteract my hipster instinct and convince myself that just because a lot of other people like the song, it is no less worthy of my own ability to like said song. Also, I'm highlighting a genre I have not typically posted about in the past: electro-pop, techno, house, dance-tastic music!

Swedish House Mafia: Don't You Worry Child
Probably one of the most upbeat songs out there right now, I can't hear it without wanting to just bust out into a dance party, which is why I can't normally play it during work hours. It just puts a smile on my face and sometimes that's all I need a song to do.

Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch: Sweet Nothings
One of my current favorite songs to dance to, although it usually just devolves into either a lot of jumping or lip synching. I just want to be Flo!

Memory Tapes: Sheila
(ignore the model face, & just listen)
The lead track off the new album Grace/Confusion, coming in at just over 8 1/2 minutes, this song is enough to kick-start any party. Somehow this electro-pop manages to stay interesting, keeping the same chord progression, but creating different variations on the motif. It knows when to build and when to ebb and how to get your feet a'tapping.

Florence + The Machine: Spectrum (Say My Name) Calvin Harris Remix
Did I mention that Flo is awesome? I know we just heard this combo but right now they cant go wrong, especially when it comes to getting me dancing!

No comments: