Monday, June 10, 2013

Musical Monday: For The Long Haul

This weekend I will be taking a trip up to PA for a college teammate's wedding and will then head to the outer banks in NC for a few days of sun. This means I need a good road trip playlist.

While there are plenty of great songs out there, I like building my playlists for long trips around long songs. This way I feel like I have accomplished more, and driven farther as each song passes.

In honor of my looooong road trip, here are some looooong songs (criteria, close to or over 10 minutes) I love to listen to on the open road:

Sufjan Stevens: Impossible Soul
Off of his 2010 release Age of Adz,  Sufjan experiments more in this 25 minute song then most artists do throughout their careers. About 13:45, my favorite part kicks in, so if the crooning guitar player or auto-tuned circus aren't your thing, you can join me in the cheer/shout section!

Memory Tapes: Sheila
This song just gets my moving so I have to make sure I don't get too involved in shoulder dancing behind the wheel that it affects my driving.

Explosions in the Sky: The Only Moment We Were Alone
What can I say about my beloved Explosions, they have gotten me through many moments and can be perfect for a great road trip soundtrack. This song is one of my favorites and is off of the 2003 album The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place.

Explosions in the Sky: It's Natural to Be Afraid
From their fifth album, 2007's All of A Sudden I Miss Everyone.

Gotye: Seven Hours with a Backseat Driver
From one of my favorite albums of all time Like Drawing Blood (The 2007 album was named the 11th best Australian album of all time by Triple J last year). While not quite "qualifying" based on my 10minute criteria, I make the rules here so this one makes the list based on getting extra points for being related to the theme. The cartoon is what plays behind Wally in concert and just about perfectly sums up the uncomfortable and muscle-clench-inducing obnoxiousness of driving with a backseat driver.

What are your favorite road-trip or 10+ minute songs? Let me know in the comments or on twitter @itzbizr!

1 comment:

P!nky said...

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY!!! It's a meteor ;)!

Sounds like total YOU music for a road trip, I'm sure it will be fab :)!