Monday, May 21, 2012

Musical Monday 4: Study Sess Survival

Second week in a row: Musical Monday published on a  Monday... wooo! go me! epic happiness ensues (forget the fact there's only a little over 90 minutes left in today, STILL COUNTS!)

In honor of the beginning of bar prep tomorrow (OMGEEE, so terrifying) I have compiled some of my favorite music to study to for your and my reference.  I know I will likely need to return to this post multiple times this summer to remind myself where I can find good music

Study Sess Survival 


Olafur Arnalds - Ljosio

Bon Iver - Holocene

Sooo hypnotizing, right? This got me through 3L finals.  If you go to the Bon Iver YouTube Page you can watch a playlist of some of the music videos as well as all of the videos which were included in the DELUXE release of the self-titled Sophomore album which won Best Alternative Music Album and the Man Behind Bon Iver Justin Vernon the Grammy for Best New Artist.

Sigur Ros+BBC/Nat. Geo's Planet Earth 

Some brilliant person out there decided to combine the visuals of Nat Geo/BBC's Planet Earth with the symphonically epic music of Sigur Ros, the result is: Spec.tac.u.lar. the challenge is not to get drawn into the the breathtaking beauty of the video.  I have to listen to this with the window minimized if I'm actually trying to get work done.  On a break however, these are a saving reminder of how life is bigger than me, it's bigger than whatever work I'm doing, and all I can hope to do is contribute something small and good to it.

Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine
Just great music, post-modern deconstructed rock.  The melodic guitars evoke the feelings of holding hands with someone you care about.  I'm surprised I haven't used more of this blog to wax on about my love fore Explosions in the Sky so here's another video to make up for their absence thus far:

Explosions in the Sky - The Only Moment We Were Alone


There is a music video for this which plays in my head every time i hear this song. It's a colorless, frozen moment in time which flashes to the past and future during the crashing drums at the epic height of the song's climax before slowly freezing again.  This is my true escape-from-reality-song, and I have a feeling I'll need it in the weeks to come....



No comments: