Thursday, May 23, 2013

Blog Every Day in May: Day Twenty-Three

Day 23, Thursday: Things you've learned that school won't teach you

I've been in one school or another for the majority of my life (scary thing is, I've spent so many years in school, that I can say this until about 40). While there are definitely things I've learned in school that weren't lifted right from the texbook/lesson, like some social skills and some time management, there's plenty I learned that school had nothing to do with.

Cooking
Sure, there was home ec. but I cant recall actually learning anything other than how to sew a felt bean-bag frog. Everything I learned in the kitchen is either self-taught or straight from my Mama!

Teamwork
Group projects teach you nothing about teamwork, they just reveal who is the least willing to fail and the most willing to work and everyone else who gloms onto that one person's work (although I have had some good group projects in the past, but inevitably theres always one person who's drive is way above everyone elses). Most everything about teamwork, leadership, and putting a greater goal above oneself I learned out on a field, court, pool somewhere. 

Service
Church and missions and learning what Jesus taught about loving neighbors as yourself and selfless service is one of the most poignant, lasting and important lessons I continue to learn in this life.

No comments: